We changed our plan to do the NUS next bus v2 in second week of final project, when we realised that we couldn’t work fast with the people managing NUS next bus. We moved on to Give For Free.
Most of our development effort on GiveForFree was the addition of the payment system, the development of a new user interface and finally a lot of cleaning up of the bugs. The hardest part of creating the new GiveForFree was to get users and onboard charities.
We spammed any and every charity that we could get in contact with. In the end we found that most big charities have plenty of red tape that was making them very hard to work with. We managed to get SPCA Singapore relatively easily, but the others till now we’re still discussing with.
For users, had many approaches
Facebook post boost
We tried to do some content marketing via Facebook (post below), and that managed to get us 100 people to visit our Facebook page we would otherwise not get. While an expensive option, we still felt that it was worth the try, and we could reach people we would otherwise miss.
Posters all over NUS
We went and stuck A4 Posters everywhere we could reach in NUS, and some places we couldn’t. we aggressively targeted the elevators within the halls, and this meant sneaking into the halls, as people who stay in halls are usually those who would have things to give away. We managed to reach a lot of people, but number of actual users didn’t increase
Clocks within computing
We approached Mr. Lai Zit Seng for help on updating the clocks within NUS to promote our website, this had an effect of everyone within computing knowing our project, whether we managed to get users from this we’re unsure, but there was definitely a growth of unique visitors after this.
This was a failed attempt as none of the local celebrities replied to us. Perhaps we could have gotten someone if we managed to communicate to their personal account rather than their public account
Talking to people
Approaching people directly was the most successful, especially when we approached those within the arts and social sciences faculty. We avoided the crowded lunch hours as those were the times when people were much more impatient and unwilling to listen. We had a growth of about 200 users during the period where we went to strangers to promote our platform.
In the end we had over 500 users and over 1.5k unique visitors, which was short of our goal of 3000, but we still feel we did a great job, for something as difficult to get users as a charity platform.